Consumers Association of Penang

Giving voice to the little people...since 1970

Construction industry shut down

Just last week there was the news that the mezzanine floor of a hypermarket in Alor Gajah collapsed, resulting in deaths and injuries.  Now, we have been presented with further shocking news that 92.5% of construction sites in the country do not meet specifications set by the Department of Safety and Health.

Tesco: Why the Double Standard?

Mr S M Mohamed Idris demontrating the safety cap on other brand toilet cleaner.

The Consumers’ Association of Penang (CAP) is disappointed with Tesco’s practice of double standard in packaging some of their products. Our market survey found that the safety aspect of Tesco merchandise sold in Malaysia is not of equivalent standard to the one sold in the United Kingdom (UK).

RESPONSE OF TBRA TO PENANG STATE COMMISSION OF INQUIRY ON TANJUNG BUNGAH LANDSLIDE TRAGEDY

The Tanjung Bungah Residents’ Association (TBRA) welcomes the proposal by the Penang State Government to set up a Commission of Inquiry (SCI) to investigate the landslide that took place on 21 October at Lengkok Lembah Permai that killed 11 people.

We ask that the SCI be open to the public to ensure transparency in view of the public interest involved, and that it also allows the full participation and engagement of all stakeholders, including TBRA.

Firecrackers and illegal fireworks are still in the market

The Consumers’ Association of Penang (CAP) has repeatedly called for a strict enforcement of a ban on firecrackers/fireworks for more than 20 years but these calls have fallen on deaf ears.

While we are struggling just to enforce the law, more than 40,000 people signed a petition calling for a new law to ban the public use of fireworks in the United Kingdom (UK). Their reasons are that fireworks cause “alarm, distress and anxiety” to “many people and animals”.

MALAYSIA’S TOWERING INFERNO SAGA CONTINUES

The Consumers’ Association of Penang (CAP) is highly concerned with the lack of regard by the authorities for fire safety in our country.

At 11.50am on 13 February a fire that started during some maintenance work on the EPF building in Jalan Gasing, Petaling Jaya was able to spread quickly because the cladding on the exterior wall of the building was made from a material that did not comply with specifications.